Living in 波特兰
In addition to regular weekday events such as games and concerts, the weekends offer the opportunity to enjoy 波特兰 and the Pacific Northwest. Students can engage in fun dorm activities or explore the 波特兰 area with their friends (by signing out with the dorm parent on duty).
Known for its eco-friendliness, avant-garde restaurants, 食品车, 和咖啡馆, 波特兰 is a vibrant city with extensive cultural and recreational activities. The city is host to the iconic Powell's City of Books, the Lan Su Chinese Tea Garden, 俄勒冈动物园, and Washington Park's International Test Rose Garden, as well as a formal Japanese Garden. With a thriving art, theater, and music scene, there is an endless array of opportunities. For sports enthusiasts, 波特兰 is home to Nike World Headquarters, Adidas North American headquarters, the 波特兰 Trailblazers (NBA), the 波特兰 Thorns (professional women's soccer), and the 波特兰 Timbers (professional men's soccer).
Perched on the Pacific Rim, nestled between the ocean and the 山, bordered by both natural wetlands and urban development, OES is a prime location for outdoor adventures. Our outdoor program allows all upper school students (day and boarding) to join weekend outings to the beaches, 山, and rivers of 俄勒冈州.
Activities that are offered include:
- Beach getaways and surfing on the 俄勒冈州 Coast
- Backpacking, skiing, and snowboarding in the Cascade Range
- Rock climbing, kayaking, and whitewater rafting in central 俄勒冈州
- Wind surfing in the Columbia Gorge
探索 the Pacific Northwest - 俄勒冈州旅游
- 80 miles to the Pacific Ocean, 60 miles to Mt. 罩
- 70 miles of hiking trails in Forest Park, one of the country's largest urban forest reserves
- 1,000,000 books at Powell's City of Books, the largest new and used bookstore in the world (occupies an entire city block)
- 12 bridges span the Willamette River which divides 波特兰 into east and west
- 550 types of roses (7000 bushes) at the International Rose Test Garden
- 波特兰ers eat more ice cream per person than any other city in the United States